Working with transcripts of recorded medical consultations / Alexandra Hillman.
Hillman, Alexandra (författare)
- ISBN 9781473999145
- Publicerad: London : SAGE Publications, Ltd. 2017
- Engelska 1 online resource
- Relaterad länk:
http://methods.sagep... (Table of Contents / Abstracts) (SAGE Research Methods)
- This exemplar outlines one approach for analysing transcripts of medical consultations as a type of naturally occurring talk. The data includes three transcripts from audio recordings of clinical consultations in a large United Kingdom memory clinic, where people with memory problems go to be assessed and diagnosed most commonly with Alzheimers disease or another dementia. The data are provided by Dr Alexandra Hillman from Cardiff University, who also includes handwritten fieldnotes from the consultations to provide context and extra insight. The data comes from an ethnographic study of memory clinics undertaken between 2012 and 2014, which included the observation and recording of consultations in the clinic as well as qualitative interviews with staff, patients and families. The aims of the research were to explore processes of diagnosis, including how a diagnosis is reached, how a diagnosis is communicated to patients and families, and how practitioners, patients and families interpret clinical information and diagnoses. A particular interest of the study was how processes of assessment and diagnosis contributed to the separation of "normal" age related forgetfulness from signs of neurodegenerative disease. This exemplar demonstrates how you might approach these transcripts ethnographically, focusing on the form and content of the interaction (what people say to each other, how and in what moments), but also taking into account issues of space and materiality, as well as aspects of non-verbal communication.
- Physician and patient -- Great Britain -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Medical history taking -- Great Britain -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- Memory disorders -- Great Britain -- Case studies. (LCSH)
- R727.3 (LCC)
- 610.696 (DDC)
- Vpd (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Sveriges lantbruksuniversitets bibliotek, SLU-biblioteket (Jsld)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for SLUB) (fulltext) (SAGE Research Methods Datasets)