Beyond aesthetics : use, abuse, and dissonance in african art traditions / Wole Soyinka.
- Soyinka, Wole, 1934- (författare)
Alternativt namn: Soyinka, Akinwande Oluwole, 1934-
- ISBN 9780300247626
- First edition.
- Publicerad: New Haven : Yale University Press, 2019
- Engelska 159 pages
Serie: Richard D. Cohen Lectures on African & African American Art
- Preface -- Chapter 1. Oga, Na Original Fake, I Swear! -- Chapter 2. Procreative deities : The Orisa's Triumphal March -- Chapter 3. From Aso-Ebi to N****wood.
- "The playwright, poet, essayist, activist, and Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka is also a longtime art collector. In this book of essays, he offers a glimpse into the motivations of the collector, as well as a highly personal look at the politics of aesthetics and collecting. Detailing moments of first encounter with objects that drew him in and continue to affect him, Soyinka describes a world of mortals, muses, and deities that imbue the artworks with history and meaning. Beyond Aesthetics is a passionate discussion of the role of identity, tradition, and originality in making, collecting, and exhibiting African art today. Soyinka considers objects that have stirred controversy, and he decries dogmatic efforts-whether colonial or religious-to suppress Africa's artistic traditions. By turns poetic, provocative, and humorous, Soyinka affirms the power of collecting to reclaim tradition. He urges African artists, filmmakers, collectors, and curators to engage with their aesthetic and cultural histories"--
- Afrikansk konst (sao)
- Art, African (LCSH)
- 709.6 (DDC)
- Ib-p (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Stockholms universitet Frescatibiblioteket (H)Ange som favorit
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.