Reading America : citizenship, democracy, and Cold War literature / Kristin L. Matthews.
Matthews, Kristin L., 1973- (författare)
- ISBN 9781625342355
- Publicerad: Amherst : University of Massachusetts Press, 
- Copyright: ©2016
- Engelska xi, 207 pages
Serie: Studies in print culture and the history of the book
- Preface -- Introduction: "there is much to be gained by our reading" -- America reads: literacy and Cold War nationalism -- Reading for character, community, and country: J.D. Salinger's The catcher in the rye -- Reading to outmaneuver: Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man and African American -- Literacy in Cold War America -- Reading against the machine: Oedipa Maas and the quest for democracy in Thomas Pynchon's The crying of lot 49 -- Metafiction and radical democracy: getting at the heart of John Barth's Lost in the funhouse -- Confronting difference, confronting difficulty: culture wars, canon wars, and Maxine Hong Kingston's The woman warrior -- Conclusion: "reading makes a country great.".
- "During the Cold War, the editor of Time magazine declared, "A good citizen is a good reader." As postwar euphoria faded, a wide variety of Americans turned to reading to understand their place in the changing world. Yet, what did it mean to be a good reader? And how did reading make you a good citizen? In Reading America, Kristin L. Matthews puts into conversation a range of political, educational, popular, and touchstone literary texts to demonstrate how Americans from across the political spectrum--including "great works" proponents, New Critics, civil rights leaders, postmodern theorists, neoconservatives, and multiculturalists--celebrated particular texts and advocated particular interpretive methods as they worked to make their vision of "America" a reality. She situates the fiction of J.D. Salinger, Ralph Ellison, Thomas Pynchon, John Barth, and Maxine Hong Kingston within these debates, illustrating how Cold War literature was not just an object of but also a vested participant in postwar efforts to define good reading and citizenship"--
- Böcker och läsning (sao)
- Litteratur och samhälle (sao)
- Kalla kriget i litteraturen (sao)
- Medborgarskap i litteraturen (sao)
- Demokrati i litteraturen (sao)
- Amerikansk litteratur -- historia (sao)
- Cold War in literature. (LCSH)
- Politics and literature. (LCSH)
- Identity (Psychology) in literature. (LCSH)
- Citizenship in literature. (LCSH)
- Democracy in literature. (LCSH)
- American literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Books and reading -- Social aspects -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Literature and society -- United States -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- American literature.
- Citizenship in literature.
- Cold War (1945-1989) in literature.
- Democracy in literature.
- Identity (Psychology) in literature.
- Literature and society.
- Politics and literature.
- Books and reading -- Social aspects.
- Literature and society (LCSH)
- Citizenship in literature (LCSH)
- Books and reading (LCSH)
- Cold War in literature (LCSH)
- Democracy in literature (LCSH)
- United States.
- 1900-talet (sao)
- 1900-1999 (fast)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- PS3613.A8488 (LCC)
- 810.90054 (DDC)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit