Evangelical millennialism in the trans-atlantic world, 1500-2000 [Elektronisk resurs] / Crawford Gribben.
Gribben, Crawford. (författare)
- ISBN 9780230304611
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan : 2010
- Engelska 224 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://www.palgravec... (Online journal 'available contents' page)
- Glossary Introduction The Emergence of Evangelical Millennialism, 1500-1600 The Formation of Evangelical Millennialism, 1600-1660 The Consolidation of Evangelical Millennialism, 1660-1800 The Expansion of Evangelical Millennialism, 1800-1880 The Contest of Evangelical Millennialism, 1880-1970 The Dominance of Evangelical Millennialism, 1970-2000 Conclusion Notes Bibliography Index.
- This book offers the first complete overview of the intellectual history of one of the most significant contemporary cultural trends -- the apocalyptic expectations of European and American evangelicals -- in an account that guides readers into the origins, its evolution, and its revolutionary potential in the modern world. -- This book offers the first complete overview of the intellectual history of one of the most significant contemporary cultural trends. In the early seventeenth century, European evangelicals recovered those expectations of an earthly golden age that had been deemed heretical by medieval and reformation theologians. Throughout early modernity, and across the spectrum of evangelical belief, these millennial expectations were deployed to mount a series of radical critiques of church and wider culture. In modernity, these expectations were appropriated by religious and cultural conservatives, who found in millennial theology the framework of their hostility to an unbelieving world and a rationale for their critical engagement with it -- a critical engagement that ranged from an attempt at the wholesale reconstruction of a Christian society to an expectation of its imminent and catastrophic demise. This account guides readers into the origins, evolution, and revolutionary potential of evangelical millennialism in the trans-Atlantic world.
- Millennialism -- History -- Europe. (LCSH)
- Millennialism -- History -- United States. (LCSH)
- Religion. (ukslc)
- Christian theology -- Modern period, c 1500 onwards. (bicssc)
- Christian mission & evangelism -- Modern period, c 1500 onwards. (bicssc)
- Social & cultural history -- Modern period, c 1500 onwards. (bicssc)
- Christianity -- c 1500 onwards to present day. (thema)
- Theology -- c 1500 onwards to present day. (thema)
- Religious mission & conversion -- c 1500 onwards to present day. (thema)
- Social & cultural history -- c 1500 onwards to present day. (thema)
- History of religion -- c 1500 onwards to present day. (thema)
- HRCM (ämneskategori)
- HRCX7 (ämneskategori)
- HBTB (ämneskategori)
- REL (ämneskategori)
- QRM (ämneskategori)
- QRVG (ämneskategori)
- QRVS4 (ämneskategori)
- NHTB (ämneskategori)
- QRAX (ämneskategori)
- 236.9 (DDC)
- Ceaf (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Palgrave History Collection 2011)