The body and the arts [Elektronisk resurs] / Edited by Corinne J. Saunders, Ulrika Maude, Jane Macnaughton.
Saunders, Corinne J., 1963-
- ISBN 9780230234000
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2009
- Engelska 312 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Contents List of Illustrations Acknowledgements Notes on Contributors Introduction-- C.Saunders, U.Maude and J.Macnaughton PART I: THINKING THE BODY Polyclitus among the Philosophers: Canons of Classical Beauty-- G.Boys-Stones Body as Graced or Vile: Tensions in the Christian Vision-- D.Brown The Smoke of the Soul: Anatomy, Medical Spirits and the Rete Mirabile: 1538-1643-- R.Sugg The Fizziness Business-- S.Connor Flesh Revealed: Medicine, Art and Anatomy-- J.Macnaughton PART II: WRITING THE BODY The Affective Body: Love, Virtue and Vision in English Medieval Literature-- C.Saunders Victorian Literature and Bringing the Body Back from the Dead-- F.O'Gorman Modernist Bodies: Coming to Our Senses-- U.Maude Writing the Body: Modernism and Postmodernism-- P.Waugh Detective Fiction and the Body-- P.D.James (in conversation with C.Saunders) PART III: VIEWING THE BODY Pygmalion, Painted Flesh, and the Female Body-- M.Postle Satyrs, Harpies, Jellyfish, and Mutants: Ovidian Metamorphosis in Contemporary Art-- M.Warner Body, Space, Time-- A.Gormley Une ecriture corporelle: The Dancer in the Text of Mallarme and Yeats-- S.Jones The Erotic and the Sacred Body in Opera: the Venusberg to Monsalvat -- and beyond-- D.Fuller Celluloid Formaldehyde? The Body on Film-- J.Buchanan Index.
- The Body and the Arts focuses on the dynamic relation between the body and the arts: the body as inspiration, subject, symbol and medium. Contributors from a variety of disciplines explore this relation across a range of periods and art forms, spanning medicine, literature from the classical period to the present, and visual and performing arts. -- The Body and the Arts focuses on the dynamic relation between the body and the arts: the body as inspiration, subject, symbol and medium. Contributors from a variety of academic and artistic disciplines explore this complex and shifting relation across a range of periods, literatures and other art forms, spanning the subjects of medicine, literature from the classical period to the present, and the visual and performing arts, including film, dance and opera. The book engages with enduring cultural issues: the materiality of the body, the tension between actual and ideal, beauty and horror, the interconnection of the history of medicine with the cultural history of the body, the complex process of negotiation between the actual human body and the artist, and the effect of science and technology on artistic representations of the body. The volume includes essays by Marina Warner, Antony Gormley and P. D. James.
- Theory of art. (bicssc)
- Literary studies: general. (bicssc)
- Dance & other performing arts. (bicssc)
- Art and Design. (eflch)
- ABA (ämneskategori)
- DSB (ämneskategori)
- AS (ämneskategori)
- ART (ämneskategori)
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.