Lydgate matters [Elektronisk resurs] Poetry and material culture in the fifteenth century / Edited by Lisa H. Cooper, Andrea Denny-Brown.
Cooper, Lisa H., 1971-
- ISBN 9780230610293
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2007
- Engelska 232 p.
Serie: New Middle Ages
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Lydgate Matters - Lisa H. Cooper & Andrea Denny-Brown * Lydgate and London's Public Culture - Claire Sponsler * Lydgate's Golden Cows: Appetite and Avarice in Bycorne and Chychevache - Andrea Denny-Brown * Sovereignty and Sewage - Paul Strohm * Lydgate's Worse Poem - Maura Nolan * 'MarkysA...Off the Workman': Heresy, Hagiography, and the Heavens in The Pilgrimage of the Life of Man - Lisa H. Cooper * Lydgate, Lovelich, and London Letters - Michelle R. Warren * St. George and the A"Steyned HalleA": Lydgate's Verse for the London Armourers - Jennifer Floyd * Lydgate, Location, and the Poetics of Exemption - John M. Ganim * Lydgate's Refrain: The Open When - D. Vance Smith.
- This collection seeks to re-evaluate fifteenth-century English poetry in light of recent scholarly interest in the verse of popular poet John Lydgate and medieval material culture more broadly. -- This collection seeks to re-evaluate fifteenth-century English poetry in light of recent scholarly interest in the verse of popular poet John Lydgate and medieval material culture more broadly.
- 'Lydgate scholars are back in town. This stylish posse takes aim at the following: medieval London's wealthy oligarchies, its eateries, the sewage systems, the laundromats, trade unions, and the multimedia outlets. The action is brisk and invigorating, the aim startlingly accurate. Each sharpshooter in this this superb collection holds his or her own.' -James Simpson, Douglas P. and Katherine B. Loker Professor of English, Department of English and American Literature and Language, Harvard University, USA. 'If any volume proves that Lydgate matters to current scholarship, criticism, and teaching of medieval literature, it is this one. The editors have assembled a remarkable collection of distinguished senior and promising junior scholars. Taken together, they illuminate Lydgate's place in post-Chaucerian poetry, in the material culture of late medieval England, and in the broader arc of English literary history." -Seth Lerer, Avalon Foundation Professor in the Humanities, Professor of English and Comparative Literature, Stanford University, USA. 'This volume has an admirable conversational quality to it, a sense that many of the essays are really engaged in a collective reading of Lydgate and cross-pollinate ideas with each other and a larger discourse. A solid contribution to the ongoing interest in Lydgate's work.' -Ethan Knapp, Ohio State University, USA.
- Literary studies: poetry & poets. (bicssc)
- Literary studies: classical, early & medieval. (bicssc)
- Literature. (eflch)
- DSC (ämneskategori)
- DSBB (ämneskategori)
- LIT (ämneskategori)
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.