Performing the nation in interwar Germany [Elektronisk resurs] Sport, spectacle and political symbolism, 1926-36 / Nadine Rossol.
Rossol, Nadine, 1978- (författare)
- ISBN 9780230274778
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010
- Engelska 240 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- List of Illustrations Acknowledgments Abbreviations Introduction Sports and Games, 1925-28 Staging the Republic: Constitution Day Festivities in 1929 Republican Nationalism: The Rhineland Celebration in 1930 Party Rallies and the Thingspiel in the Third Reich The Death of the Spectacle in the mid-1930s 'Like 100 years ago!'Local Festivities in Weimar and Nazi Germany Conclusion Notes Bibliography Index.
- Performing the Nation in Interwar Germany argues that political aesthetics and mass spectacles were no invention of the Nazis but characterized the period from the mid-1920s to the mid-1930s. In so doing, it re-examines the role of state representation and propaganda in the Weimar Republic and the Nazi dictatorship. -- Performing the Nation in Interwar Germany challenges the notion that the Nazis invented the use of aesthetics for the staging of their mass events. Instead, the book argues that the period from the mid-1920s to the mid-1930s can be considered as a whole in regards to the development of political aesthetics and festive culture. A stress on rhythm, moving bodies, shapes, and community already characterized mass events in the republic and strongly influenced festivities, parades, sporting events and spectacles organized by the republican state. Consequently, the originality of Nazi propaganda and representation was limited as the public was well accustomed to mass staged events by the state and political organizations alike by the time the National Socialists came to power. 'Nazi aesthetics' were less quintessentially 'Nazi' but expressed the Zeitgeist of the 1920s and 1930s.
- Popular culture -- History -- 20th century -- Germany. (LCSH)
- Political culture -- History -- 20th century -- Germany. (LCSH)
- Aesthetics, German -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- History. (eflch)
- Social & cultural history -- Inter-war period, 1918-1939 -- Second World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany. (bicssc)
- European history -- Inter-war period, 1918-1939 -- Second World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany. (bicssc)
- 20th century history: c 1900 to c 2000 -- Inter-war period, 1918-1939 -- Second World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany. (bicssc)
- Germany -- Intellectual life -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1918-1933. (LCSH)
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945. (LCSH)
- HBTB (ämneskategori)
- HBJD (ämneskategori)
- HBLW (ämneskategori)
- HIS (ämneskategori)
- 943.085 (DDC)
- Kf (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (Ebook Central Perpetual, DDA and Subscription Titles:Full Text)
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Palgrave History Collection 2010)