Ex-combatants, gender and peace in Northern Ireland : women, political protest and the prison experience / Azrini Wahidin.
Wahidin, Azrini, 1972- (författare)
- ISBN 1137363290
- Publicerad: London : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Copyright: ©2016
- Engelska xvii, 253 pages
Serie: Palgrave Studies in Compromise after Conflict
- Chapter 1. Women, War and Peace -- Chapter 2. An Cogadh Fada: The Legacy of Conflict in Northern Ireland -- Chapter 3. The Role of the Accidental Activist -- Chapter 4. From Footnote Soldiers to Frontline Soldiers -- Chapter 5. An Scéal o Príosún Ard Mhacha: Armagh Prison -- Chapter 6. Nor Meekly Serve My Time: 'A' Company Armagh -- Chapter 7. Parthas Caillte: The Politics of Resistance and the Role of the Gendered Incarcerated Body -- Chapter 8. Scéal Phríosún Ard Mhacha: The History of Strip Searching in Armagh -- Chapter 9. 'There is No Glory in Any War'. Conclusion. Compromise After Conflict: Making Peace with the Past.
- This book explores the contours of women's involvement in the Irish Republican Army, political protest and the prison experience in Northern Ireland. Through the voices of female and male combatants, it demonstrates that women remained marginal in the examination of imprisonment during the Conflict and in the negotiated peace process. However, the book shows that women performed a number of roles in war and peace that placed constructions of femininity in dissent. Azrini Wahidin argues that the role of the female combatant is not given but ambiguous. She indicates that a tension exists between different conceptualisations of societal security, where female combatants both fought against societal insecurity posed by the state and contributed to internal societal dissonance within their ethno-national groups. This book tackles the lacunae that has created a disturbing silence and an absence of a comprehensive understanding of women combatants, which includes knowledge of their motivations, roles and experiences. It will be of particular interest to scholars of criminology, politics and peace studies.
- Kvinnliga politiska fångar (sao)
- Politiskt våld (sao)
- Stridande och icke-stridande -- genusaspekter (sao)
- Women political prisoners -- Northern Ireland. (LCSH)
- Social conflict -- Northern Ireland -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Combatants and noncombatants (International law)
- Women political prisoners (LCSH)
- Political violence (LCSH)
- Storbritannien -- Nordirland (sao)
- Irish Republican Army
- HV9649.N67 (LCC)
- 365/.608209416 (DDC)
- Oeq (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit