Dangerous bodies : historicising the gothic corporeal / / Marie Mulvey-Roberts.
Mulvey Roberts, Marie (författare)
- ISBN 9780719085413
- Publicerad: Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2016
- Engelska xiii, 258 pages
- Introduction -- 1. Catholicism, the gothic and the bleeding body -- 2. Mary Shelley, Frankenstein and slavery -- 3. Death by orgasm: sexual surgery and Dracula -- 4. Nazis, Jews and Nosferatu -- 5. The vampire of war -- Conclusion: conflict Gothic.
- Through an investigation of the body and its oppression by the church, the medical profession and the state, this book reveals the actual horrors lying beneath fictional horror in settings as diverse as the monastic community, slave plantation, operating theatre, Jewish ghetto and battlefield trench. The book provides original readings of canonical Gothic literary and film texts including The Castle of Otranto, The Monk, Frankenstein, Dracula and Nosferatu. This collection of fictionalised dangerous bodies is traced back to the effects of the English Reformation, Spanish Inquisition, French Revolution, Caribbean slavery, Victorian medical malpractice, European anti-Semitism and finally warfare, ranging from the Crimean up to the Vietnam War. The endangered or dangerous body lies at the centre of the clash between victim and persecutor and has generated tales of terror and narratives of horror, which function to either salve, purge or dangerously perpetuate such oppositions. This ground-breaking book will be of interest to academics and students of Gothic studies, gender and film studies and especially to readers interested in the relationship between history and literature -- Publisher.
- Människokroppen i litteraturen (sao)
- Skräckromaner (sao)
- Human body in literature -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Gothic fiction (Literary genre) -- Social aspects. (LCSH)
- Gothic fiction (Literary genre) -- Psychology. (LCSH)
- Analogy in literature -- Social aspects. (LCSH)
- Horror tales, English -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Medicine in Literature. (MeSH)
- Human Body. (MeSH)
- Physical Appearance, Body. (MeSH)
- Body Image -- psychology. (MeSH)
- Body, Human, in literature (LCSH)
- PN3435 (LCC)
- 809.38729 (DDC)
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favorit