Measuring Arab immigrant women's definition of marital violence [electronic resource] : creating and validating an instrument for use in social work practice / by Mona Bakry Abdel Meguid.
Abdel Meguid, Mona Bakry. (författare)
- Columbus, Ohio : Ohio State University, 2006.
Läs hela texten
- Abstract: Despite growing evidence that immigrant women are at risk of becoming victims of domestic violence, there has been little effort until recently to address intimate partner violence in the increasing immigrant populations in the United States. Evidence in the literature indicates that the severity as well as prevalence of intimate partner violence may be higher among immigrant groups. Suffering coupled with partner violence is additionally associated with problems related to immigration and acculturation. Yet, previous studies on intimate partner violence have rarely regarded the immigration status of the victim or the specific cultural and religious background of the immigrants. The purpose of this study was to design a valid and reliable instrument, Likert-type scale that measures Arab-Muslim women's perception of marital violence. The scale was intended to investigate how Arab-Muslim women define intimate partner violence, help-seeking sources women might ask for help in case of intimate partner violence occurring, and barriers they might perceive in seeking outside help. The study examined 224 Arab-Muslim women's definition of marital violence, help-seeking sources preferences they might consult in case of marital violence, and barriers they might perceive in seeking outside help. The results indicated the length of stay Arab-Muslim women been in the United States and the amount of education they have received influence their perception of marital violence and their help-seeking preferences.
- Marital violence -- Cross-cultural studies. (LCSH)
- Wife abuse -- Cross-cultural studies. (LCSH)
- Women immigrants -- United States -- Attitudes. (LCSH)
- Women, Arab -- United States -- Attitudes. (LCSH)
- Muslim women -- United States -- Attitudes. (LCSH)
- Help-seeking behavior. (LCSH)
- Psychological abuse. (LCSH)
Indexterm och SAB-rubrik
- Scale development.
- Physical abuse.
- Emotional abuse.
- Help-seeking resources.
- Help-seeking barriers.
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.